i am always looking for fresh new ways to use up my leftover chicken from our weekly roast. we have our family favourite, but i was looking for something a bit different this week as anything, even the yummy stuff, gets boring after a while!
this was exactly what i was looking for… delicious and so warming!
chicken pot pie: a real food recipe (serves 4 – 6)
- 4 happy chicken breasts–OR leftover chicken pieces from your roast.
- a knob of butter and some olive oil
- a bunch of leeks
- 6 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 heaping tablespoon all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 generous tablespoon organic cream or creme fraiche
- 1-1/4 cups organic chicken broth (300 ml)
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme or rosemary
- 1/3 of a nutmeg for grating–or a few sprinkles of nutmeg powder
- 1 large sheet of all-butter puff pastry or homemade pastry. i haven’t found a grain-free or soaked version of pastry that works for me yet so i compromise… if you know of one please link to it in the comments!
- 1 egg
turn oven to 200°C. put a large pan on a medium heat & a medium saucepan on a low heat. cut chicken into 1cm strips and cook in the butter and olive oil for 3 minutes. throw in leeks & mushrooms. add the flour, stir well and then add the mustard, creme (or creme fraiche and the chicken stock, stirring well. stir in herbs, salt and pepper to taste. then, unroll sheet of puff pastry on to floured surface and pour chicken filling into baking dish. cover with puff pastry, score it with a knife and brush a beaten egg over the top of the pie to make it nice and shiny. bake for 15 minutes till puff pastry is golden brown!